Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Musing about the effects if any, of how we price average work.

On Mar 3, 10:41 am, william kossack wrote:
where are you guys selling?

here in colorado very few turner can get much for their work. I've sold
only a few things and those are to people I know. I initially set a
price of $15/hr that it took to make something and then lower the price
from there. Even then with some items in shops nothing sells even at a
significant mark down.

When I talk to my brother in Georgia he comments on how much better the
quality of my stuff that I've given away is compared to the turnings
he sees at fairs that sell for 100's (and people snap them up for that
price). Here at major art fairs I've seen very nice stuff for sale but
nobody buying.

OK - I have to ask. I just have to... if your work is that good
compared to the market pieces that sell for HUNDREDS per bowl where
your brother lives, and you are ****ing in a fan where you live when
trying to sell, why in the sweet name of everything good don't you
sell your stuff in Georgia?

Why screw around locally? Send some stuff off to a couple of
galleries in GA, or have your brother establish a contact with someone
selling like products... anything to get going.

Instead of selling for hundreds per bowl, just sell for a couple of
hundred and they should sell easily and very quickly. The kind of
money you could make would fill you shop with all manner of tools you
probably wouldn't have bought, plus a little extra scratch for buying
SO a new goody or taking her out to dinner.

This doesn't make sense to me... you know where a seemingly lucrative
market is for your exact product (half the battle for success in
business), but you don't sound like you are making any effort to get
established in it.

Yes? No?

Robert