Posted to alt.home.repair

Default chimney problems

On Mar 2, 5:32 pm, " wrote:
On Mar 2, 4:47?pm, "Moe" wrote:

wrote

snipped like a thread should be, when only replying to one paragraph or
sentence

You obviously don't believe in preventative maintenance. ?I do. ?He
has a 50 year old chimney that he doesn't even know the history of for
48 years. ? I would have that chimney inspected, whether it was
showing signs of problems or not. ?And maybe a couple hundred bucks is
a lot of money to you, but to me it's money well spent to know what I
have and any serious problems that may exist.

You miss the point. The thread/problem is way over your head. You don't
throw parts at a problem, and make recommendations that are completely
irrelevant to the problem at hand.

You gave out some really bad information to solve the problem. In all
honesty, you should refrain from replying to posts to which you have zero
knowledge about. For your sake, just save some face, so when you do reply,
people don't take you as a jerk.

Moe I shudder to think about the condition your home must be in.

If its not collapsing ignore it.

The trouble is LOTS of stuff can be fixed or maintained easily if
checked on a regular basis.

Moe is the only guy I ever heard of that says it's bad advice to have
an inspection done on a 50 year old chimney with unknown history, that
is exhibiting problems. And then he claims chimney liners are never
used on hvac systems, which of course they are. But the thread is
over my head and I look like a jerk? LOL He may know about
flashing, but he doesn't know much about chimneys, preventative
maintenance, or safety.

Sometimes its cheaper to replace a furnace than rebulid a chimney.

If say the home has the original 50 year old furnace you can save 1/2
the energy cost by going from the old fuel guzzler to a spify new 93+
furnce while by removing the top of the chimney elminarte forever
flashing etc. while cutting fuel bill by HALF forever That might
save 3,000 a year in fuel ANNUALLY!

Whoever buys your home next will have a ton of work.

Pointing out OPTIONS is always a good idea!!!- Hide quoted text -