Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Silencing a humming transformer ( + ACDC adaptor that blew )

On 1 Mar, 03:00, James Sweet wrote:
wrote:
On 1 Mar, 01:00, **THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** wrote:

Did anyone notice he was using JB Weld epoxy? I think that stuff has
metal particles in it!

I haven't used it yet. I have a few cheap rubbish ACDC adaptors most
or all of which make a noise. I broke one as described, but i'll try
to experiment on the others too.

http://jbweld.net/products/jbstik.php
it says it's an insulator.

I will reply to my post with links to pictures of the transformer.

snip

Regardless there's a lot easier epoxies to use. JB Weld is very thick
paste, you can get liquid epoxy resins which will be much easier to pour
into something.-

putting aside the fact that it may be a capacitor humming. I may have
other devices with transformers like that and they may hum. How and
where would I put anything into that transformer? The transformer is
surrounded in an outer casing.
I tried soldering the transformer off (was a cheap acdc adaptor and
that particular one I had was already blown). It didn't come off, so,
I plied it off with a screwdriver, for the sake of getting a better
look at it. Either way, whether it's on the board or off it, I can't
see where i'd be putting the epoxy. The whole thing is surrounded in a
square shell.

I linked to a pic of it here
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/3...inductooq8.jpg
second from left second row from back.

And is a noisy capacitor solved with epoxy?

thanks