Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill in Detroit Bill in Detroit is offline

Default Musing about the effects if any, of how we price average work.

wrote:

Placing that number on the object, I see how well it sells, and how it
fits into the market. I adjust accordingly and start at that number.

Make sure your product is appropriate for the market you are after.
Many years ago I had a good friend that was a super sales man and he
always told me: " You can't sell Cadillacs in a Chevrolet market and
people that drive Cadillacs don't want Chevrolets".

Price accordingly.

Robert

All good advise and I thank you for it. I almost feel as if I should
mark this as "OT" since we are using a wood-turning newsgroup to discuss
gasp! wood-turning.

;-)

I would like to get $1,600 for a "hollow form" and a bit of spray paint
to cover up the fact that I used a piece of Mr. Turdly Wood. And I'd
like to repeat that sale a couple times a week.

But I'd be almost as happy if I could sell 20 ($25) pens each week.
Especially so if I could sneak in a couple $35 / $45 pens on top of the
pile. At the moment, sales are roughly half of that ... but that is
enough to keep me facing forward.

AT the moment, ALL of my work is relatively 'ordinary'. It's good work
.... but nothing that 'grabs'.

Here in Michigan (and, I suspect, around the US & maybe even the world)
there are local woods that are every bit as beautiful as the so-called
'exotic' woods. I've been fooling around with using the local wood as
the main focus of a piece and using the 'exotic' only in a supporting
role. I have one, with a thin jatoba pedestal and lid on a box elder
bowl with an intensely colored box elder finial, that I think will
'grab'. It's likely to be my first piece offered for jurying ... if I
can keep from dropping it again. :-\

But, even so, I suspect that it will eventually walk out of here for
roughly $85-$100.

One thing I -AM- confident of is that I'll never know if I don't try and
I'll never be an 'established artist' if I don't begin somewhere, somewhen.

Bill
is worth a **** unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000720-0, 03/01/2007
Tested on: 3/2/2007 1:22:58 AM