Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Schuler Charles Schuler is offline

Default SawStop New Table Saw Safety Technology

There's common sense, and then there's common sense. Have you seen
the SawStop in action? Tom Silva demonstrated one on This Old House.
He used a hot dog to simulate a finger. As soon as the blade touched
the hot dog there was a LOUD bang and the blade disappeared
immediately. The hot dog skin was just _barely_ scratched. It
works. Of course every time the brake engages the blade is fried and
you have to replace the braking mechanism and the blade.

Is the technology good? Yep. Is it for everyone? Dubious. Do I
approve of SawStop attempting to have legislation pass that will
require their product on every table saw? No way!

I'm a firm believer that stupidity can't be legislated out of
existence. There will always be someone who will manage to hurt
themselves.

As I said before, this is ridiculous. Half of the stuff on this old house
is also ridiculous and the other half is questionable. This old house is TV
..... get it? TV! TV! Not reality!

Table saws should only be used by those who know how to use them. Chain
saws too!

So, any fool can go to Sears and buy one or both. That's just one reason
why there are so many wealthy lawyers.

Show me a safe chain saw and I'll show you a device that won't cut down a
sapling! A safe table saw will not rip a 2 x 4.

I can't believe that I am responding to this dumb ****. Signed off,
forever! PLONK