Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default re-wiring Gaggia Coffee Espresso?

clifto wrote:
Homer J Simpson wrote:
All US kitchen outlets (except in really OLD houses) have 220 volts - it's
required by code. It's easy to add an outlet with the right socket for 220.

Maybe my brain is low on caffeine, but I'm having trouble processing this.
Tell me where I could find 208, 220, 230, 240 or other similar voltage
in my kitchen, please. My house is ten years old.

That's a hidden feature of the U.S. electrical system. Almost everywhere,
the distribution transformer puts out 240 volts. The secret is that
it has a center tap (a connection in the middle of the secondary winding)
that is grounded.

So between the wires, it's 240 volts. Between each wire and ground, it's
120 volts. The U.S. standard is to run 240 volts to the main distribution
panel in a building and there have one ground. One is used as a neutral,
and the other as a saftey ground.

Wires run to outlets are usually three wires, a hot wire connected eventualy
to one side of the transformer, a neutral wire, which returns the power
to ground, completing the 120 volt circuit, and a smaller saftey ground wire.

For air conditioners, stoves and dryers, there is usually three wires,
one to each side of the transformer, and a saftey ground. These outlets
are 240 volts.

Often for places where there is a large load expected four wires are run,
One to each side of the transformer, an equal sized neutral and a saftey ground.
When they are connected to a dual outlet, the hot wires are connected to
seperate outlets,they share the neutral and saftey ground. It's not
a problem because the neutral does not carry the full load return,
only the difference.

If you have an outlet for a stove, an air conditioner, or a dual fed outlet,
then it's simple to install a 240 volt outlet for your coffee maker.

The two problems with doing so, is that if the circuit is used for something
else, such as a stove or dryer, you may have problems with making coffee
while drying your clothes or baking. Nothing dangerous, just the circuit
breaker will "pop", turning them off.

The other problem is that since it will now be connected to an counter top
outlet as opposed to a semi permanent connection, you will need a 240 volt
ground fault interupter (GFI) instead of 2 seperate 120 volt ones.

Any large electrical supply store will have all the needed parts, and
any competent electrician will be able to install them.

This of course assumes you have a line like that in your kitchen or can
have one run.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/