Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Silencing a humming transformer ( + ACDC adaptor that blew )

wrote:
On 28 Feb, 20:05, "
wrote:

I have no experience with electronics except dabbling with a
multimeter.

I wanted to silence a humming transformer, I read somewhere that
covering it in JB Weld would do the job. But I didn't even get that
far.

I struggled to open it up, in the end I managed it quite 'easily' with
a hammer.

Before even putting on any JB Weld, I put the lid back on it and
plugged it in.

Then I flicked the mains power switch and bang it blew.

I know it was the ACDC adaptor because and not a mains plug fuse
because the power cord still worked in another ACDC adaptor

Is there a way for me to open one of these things without encountering
that?
does anybody know about silencing humming / whining transformers

Here are pictures of the transformer
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/262/15084473gh0.jpg
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/954/18933823la0.jpg
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/3033/19265605dw7.jpg

I know the AC-DC adaptor sits on a book about electricity, but it
hasn't been read, I don't have any background in the subject!

That's a switchmode power supply, don't fill that with epoxy. A lot of
times bad filter capacitors will cause those to make noise.