Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default re-wiring Gaggia Coffee Espresso?

Homer J Simpson wrote:
3 hours? 20 minutes max for a half way competent tech. Looks like the two
elements might be in series on 220, in parallel on 110. Easy

It's also possible that there is only one heater. Run on 230 volts it
heats the water to boiling, on 120 it just gets "warm".

However , I think the three hours at $60 an hour is a polite way of
saying, "we don't want to touch it", without saying no.

I expect they guessed what it would cost to replace it and made you an
offer for close to it, if not more.

The standard electrical system in the U.S. brings 240 volts to your house.
Maybe you can get the person who sold it to you to return it to it's
original condition and have an electrician run a 240 volt line to your
kitchen. If you do, make sure it has a GFI (ground fault interupter on
it).

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/