Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair

Default re-wiring Gaggia Coffee Espresso?

Just accidentally bought a Gaggia Coffee Espresso which works on 240 volts.
Is it possible to rewire it for 120V please? Or is the transformer
different?

Does anyone know if this would be a major pain in the neck to change or if
there is an exploded view anywhere? I have tried using a reasonably
powerful voltage converter and it blew the fuse immediately!

It is a curious wide, lower-slung very modern all stainless steel unit with
three side-by-side buttons, not the one looking like the Baby shown at
http://www.wholelattelove.com/Gaggia/newcoffee.cfm

I am trying to replace my Baby which endemically cant produce crema or
proper coffee consistently and leaks like a sieve.

(I am hoping these units aren't the same inside but clothed in different
outer casings)

Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair

You would have to replace the heating element (which is integrated into the
top of the boiler) and the pump which would not be economical.

If you buy a proper step up transformer rated at 1500 or 2000 watts and use
it on a circuit of the proper rating (at least 15 amps) and without any
other loads on the circuit it should work. A transformer of this size is not
like the little travel converters - it weighs around 30 lbs. and costs
around $75, roughly.

Or you could have an electrician install a 240 v circuit. If you have an
electric range or clothes dryer you already have 240V in your
kitchen/laundry and every home/ apartment has it coming into their panel
box.

"news.rcn.com" news.rnc.com wrote in message
Just accidentally bought a Gaggia Coffee Espresso which works on 240
volts. Is it possible to rewire it for 120V please? Or is the transformer
different?

Does anyone know if this would be a major pain in the neck to change or if
there is an exploded view anywhere? I have tried using a reasonably
powerful voltage converter and it blew the fuse immediately!

It is a curious wide, lower-slung very modern all stainless steel unit
with three side-by-side buttons, not the one looking like the Baby shown
at http://www.wholelattelove.com/Gaggia/newcoffee.cfm

I am trying to replace my Baby which endemically cant produce crema or
proper coffee consistently and leaks like a sieve.

(I am hoping these units aren't the same inside but clothed in different
outer casings)

Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair

"Jack Denver" wrote in message
. ..
You would have to replace the heating element (which is integrated into
the top of the boiler) and the pump which would not be economical.

If you buy a proper step up transformer rated at 1500 or 2000 watts and
use it on a circuit of the proper rating (at least 15 amps) and without
any other loads on the circuit it should work. A transformer of this size
is not like the little travel converters - it weighs around 30 lbs. and
costs around $75, roughly.

Or you could have an electrician install a 240 v circuit. If you have an
electric range or clothes dryer you already have 240V in your
kitchen/laundry and every home/ apartment has it coming into their panel
box.

You could add a 208 / 220 circuit to the kitchen. Most kitchen receptacles
are split 240 - a voltmeter from hot to hot will show this.

DON'T try to cheat with two plugs - this is a fool killer.
You COULD (I suppose) wire a cable to one of those 2 to 6 outlet
adaptors and get the voltage that way (I've contemplated that).

Are you sure it isn't 50 cycle?

Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in message

You could add a 208 / 220 circuit to the kitchen. Most kitchen receptacles
are split 240 - a voltmeter from hot to hot will show this.

Some are, some ain't - depends on how old the kitchen is and the
electrician's customary way of wiring.

DON'T try to cheat with two plugs - this is a fool killer.

As long as you stay away from the prongs of the 2nd plug after you plug in
the first you should be ok. That's a big if.

You COULD (I suppose) wire a cable to one of those 2 to 6 outlet
adaptors and get the voltage that way (I've contemplated that).

Are you sure it isn't 50 cycle?

Wouldn't make any difference - 50 hz. machines will run just fine on 60 hz.
and vice versa - the slight difference in speed does not affect the
performance significantly.

Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair

Homer J Simpson wrote:
Are you sure it isn't 50 cycle?

Most likely it's 230 volts 50 Hz (cycle). I think the only country in the
world with standard outlets being 240 volts is Australia, and I'm not
sure about that.

England standardized on 240 volts, Europe on 220. Israel on 230 so you
could use either. Since then all of the E.U. has standardized to 230,
the U.K going down, the rest of Europe going up.

Unless it has a timer in it, it will work just as well on 240v/60 Hz, from
a U.S. outlet. Probably a lot better than trying to get a transformer to
convert the voltage up. A coffee maker generally uses 1500 watts, and
a home transformer loses about 15%-20% in the process of converting it.

If you want a really good home machine look at the Sunbeam line. I don't
know if they are sold in the U.S. There was a TV series called "Living
Coffee" by Paul Basset (or Bassett, I'm not sure), which was done by
the Austrailian Broadcasting Company and shown on food networks in the
U.S.

He won an award for being the best "barista" (coffee maker at an espresso bar)
and worked with Sunbeam on the design of their machines and marketing them.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/

Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair

"Jack Denver" wrote in message
. ..

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in message

You could add a 208 / 220 circuit to the kitchen. Most kitchen
receptacles are split 240 - a voltmeter from hot to hot will show this.

My problem is that whichever of these options I use will be exceptionally
unsightly in my tiny kitchen which has already-over used power sockets: Is
there any way of arranging joining up the circuits so that this wouldn't be
unsightly?

BTW all sockets on the circuit to the kitchen are the same as all sockets
all around the living room and bedroom. Maybe they aren't 208? (this is
something I have been complaining about ever since we moved in: Every time
we try to turn the microwave on, all lights, televisions, computers etc go
off all over the flat as the fuse trips!

There is a possibility that the cooker has a 208 volt supply somewhere near
it: The building does have 208v at the A/C units at the OTHER end of the
living room.

I DO have one of those transformers but again it is huge and there is
nowhere in the kitchen to put it. The alternative is to put the espresso
unit somewhere near the transformer in the living room but as this would be
nowhere near the water supply, this is also impractical.

Is there really any difference between this unit and a Baby?

Some are, some ain't - depends on how old the kitchen is and the
electrician's customary way of wiring.

DON'T try to cheat with two plugs - this is a fool killer.

As long as you stay away from the prongs of the 2nd plug after you plug in
the first you should be ok. That's a big if.

You COULD (I suppose) wire a cable to one of those 2 to 6 outlet
adaptors and get the voltage that way (I've contemplated that).

Are you sure it isn't 50 cycle?

Wouldn't make any difference - 50 hz. machines will run just fine on 60
hz. and vice versa - the slight difference in speed does not affect the
performance significantly.

Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair

"Jack Denver" wrote in
:

If you have an
electric range or clothes dryer you already have 240V in your
kitchen/laundry and every home/ apartment has it coming into their
panel box.

1. Cut the plug off the cord.

2. Install 240V plug like the one on your dryer.

3. Make your coffee in the laundry room.
Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 12:16:44 -0500, news.rcn.com Has Frothed:

Just accidentally bought a Gaggia Coffee Espresso which works on 240
volts.
Is it possible to rewire it for 120V please? Or is the transformer
different?

Easy enought to run 240 volts outlet, not easy to rework the coffee
machine for 120. Is this device 50 hertz also? Can't you return it and get
one made to work on 120?

Picked it up at a flea market for virtually nothing 'cos I saw it in what
looked like mint condition. Didn't notice voltage. Unlikely the vendor knew
about voltage. I bought it from him just after he had bought it from
someone else. I suppose I must take it to England next time I go and put it
on Craigslist. Inconceivable it can be worthwhile shipping it to Europe from
US so outlets like EBay out of the question, unless this unit is REALLY
worth nine hundred bucks!
http://www.everythingkitchens.com/ga...101-14100.html

?????????

COOSN-266-06-25794

Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair

It sounds like the wiring in your building is very old and undersized.
Probably a 120V Gaggia would trip the breakers also. If you have a 240V A/C
outlet in your apartment but it's in the wrong place, an inexpensive
solution would be to get a long extension cord. Based on what you describe,
I really doubt that you have 240V service in your kitchen now unless there
is an electric stove.

"news.rcn.com" news.rnc.com wrote in message

BTW all sockets on the circuit to the kitchen are the same as all sockets
all around the living room and bedroom. Maybe they aren't 208? (this is
something I have been complaining about ever since we moved in: Every time
we try to turn the microwave on, all lights, televisions, computers etc go
off all over the flat as the fuse trips!

Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair

[...]

I'll need more info before I can give an answer. What kind of upper boiler
is in your machine; the old type with heat element attachments on the side
or the four attachments on top? Does you machine have a 3-way solenoid
valve?

If you have the newer boiler top the elements can be rewired (the same
elements are used in all voltage). You'll still need a 110 volt pump &
solenoid valve (if so equipped).

I've converted several Gaggia from 240 to 110 volt & if you can read a
wiring schematic it's a piece of cake.

Robert (Let 'em eat cake!) Harmon
--
http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r

Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair

Jim Land wrote in
. 3.44:

1. Cut the plug off the cord.

2. Install 240V plug like the one on your dryer.

3. Make your coffee in the laundry room.

Revised, after learning that you have a 240v air conditioner in the
living room:

1. Cut the plug off the cord.

2. Install 240V plug like the one on your air conditioner.

3. Make your coffee in the living room.
Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair

"Robert Harmon" wrote in message
6.26...

I'll need more info before I can give an answer. What kind of upper boiler
is in your machine; the old type with heat element attachments on the side
or the four attachments on top? Does you machine have a 3-way solenoid
valve?

How do I get it apart to see which one it is? It looks brand new and unused
and is the one in the picture at
http://www.everythingkitchens.com/ga...101-14100.html
as opposed to the one with the three vertical switches on the left: Does
this assist?
If you have the newer boiler top the elements can be rewired (the same
elements are used in all voltage). You'll still need a 110 volt pump &
solenoid valve (if so equipped).

How do I identify whether I have such a pump and solenoid and how is it
rewired please?

I've converted several Gaggia from 240 to 110 volt & if you can read a
wiring schematic it's a piece of cake.

I can't but isn't it a matter of disconnecting and reconnecting in-place
connections if I have the right type?

Robert (Let 'em eat cake!) Harmon
--
http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r
Remove "Z" to reply via email.

Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair

"news.rcn.com" news.rnc.com wrote in
:

"Robert Harmon" wrote in message
6.26...

I'll need more info before I can give an answer. What kind of upper
boiler is in your machine; the old type with heat element attachments
on the side or the four attachments on top? Does you machine have a
3-way solenoid valve?

How do I get it apart to see which one it is? It looks brand new and
unused and is the one in the picture at
http://www.everythingkitchens.com/ga...-14101-14100.h
tml as opposed to the one with the three vertical switches on the
left: Does this assist?
If you have the newer boiler top the elements can be rewired (the
same elements are used in all voltage). You'll still need a 110 volt
pump & solenoid valve (if so equipped).

How do I identify whether I have such a pump and solenoid and how is
it rewired please?

I've converted several Gaggia from 240 to 110 volt & if you can read
a wiring schematic it's a piece of cake.

I can't but isn't it a matter of disconnecting and reconnecting
in-place connections if I have the right type?

Robert (Let 'em eat cake!) Harmon
--
http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r
Remove "Z" to reply via email.

My best advice; if you're not comfortable doing the conversion have
someone else do it.

That said: Open the Gaggia by removing the four screws on the top of the
machine & lifting off the top.

Some Gaggia Coffee machines have this boiler: http://tinyurl.com/yfkaqg
If you have this boiler I can't help you.

Some Gaggia Coffee machines have this boiler: http://tinyurl.com/yd7fxk
If you have this boiler here's the schematic for wiring it to 120 volt.
Schematic: http://tinyurl.com/volsg

The 120v pump will cost $40 - $75 depending on whose advice you listen
to. I recommend the cheapest Ulka from partsguru.com. The lower the
wattage the quieter it will be.

The 3-way solenoid is only found in the Classic & Baby machines. Ifyour
machine has such a valve there will be a chrome tube to the left of the
brew group. If you don't have this, great! You've just saved $50 - $75.
If you machine is equipped with the valve you'll need to replace the coil
only - that's the square or round part similar to the blue 3-way valve
shown in the first link above.

As far as rewiring it goes, I was very serious about not trying this
yourself if you're not comfortable with it. Gather all the parts;
machine, new pump & solenoid valve, & take everything to a reputable
appliance repair shop. Most will do the wiring for $50 - $100, but no
warranty.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Robert

Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Homer J Simpson wrote:

Are you sure it isn't 50 cycle?

Most likely it's 230 volts 50 Hz (cycle). I think the only country in the
world with standard outlets being 240 volts is Australia, and I'm not
sure about that.

England standardized on 240 volts, Europe on 220. Israel on 230 so you
could use either. Since then all of the E.U. has standardized to 230,
the U.K going down, the rest of Europe going up.

Regardless of the standard, my friend in England had a voltage monitor
set up for a while and it had pretty large fluctuations, anything from
around 223 all the way up to 245V depending on the time of day. These
small percentages don't matter for most things.
Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair

Picked it up at a flea market for virtually nothing 'cos I saw it in what
looked like mint condition. Didn't notice voltage. Unlikely the vendor knew
about voltage. I bought it from him just after he had bought it from
someone else. I suppose I must take it to England next time I go and put it
on Craigslist. Inconceivable it can be worthwhile shipping it to Europe from
US so outlets like EBay out of the question, unless this unit is REALLY
worth nine hundred bucks!
http://www.everythingkitchens.com/ga...101-14100.html

Why don't you just install a 240V receptacle in your kitchen?

Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair

this whole project is NOT a good idea.

I would never undertake this for myself or a customer, period.

Dave
186
www.hitechespresso.com

Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair

Default Thanks for the advice guys BUT in any event: The 120v pump will cost $40 - $75

"daveb" wrote in message
ups.com...
this whole project is NOT a good idea.

I would never undertake this for myself or a customer, period.

What I am wondering is whether this is worth either the effort or the cost.
And no one seems to have an opinion on whether the end result will be any
better than my Baby, which despite having been rebuilt by Importika
endemically cant produce crema. (I suppose I can live with all the leaking
their repair has caused which they wont recitfy)

Dave
186
www.hitechespresso.com

Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair

"news.rcn.com" news.rnc.com wrote in
:

What I am wondering is whether this is worth either the effort or the
cost. And no one seems to have an opinion on whether the end result
will be any better than my Baby, which despite having been rebuilt by
Importika endemically cant produce crema. (I suppose I can live with
all the leaking their repair has caused which they wont recitfy)

The steam will be the same IF both machines are in good order. They use the
same heating elements & boilers. So, based on that I'd say it's not worth
doing.

Robert (duck & cover) Harmon
--
http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r

Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair

"Robert Harmon" wrote in message
ups.com...
That should've read;
The crema will be the same IF both machines are in good order. They use
the
same heating elements & boilers. So, based on that I'd say it's not worth
doing.

I suspected as much but this machine seemed so alluring
Robert

Robert Harmon wrote:
"news.rcn.com" news.rnc.com wrote in
:

What I am wondering is whether this is worth either the effort or the
cost. And no one seems to have an opinion on whether the end result
will be any better than my Baby, which despite having been rebuilt by
Importika endemically cant produce crema. (I suppose I can live with
all the leaking their repair has caused which they wont recitfy)

The steam will be the same IF both machines are in good order. They use
the
same heating elements & boilers. So, based on that I'd say it's not worth
doing.

Robert (duck & cover) Harmon
--
http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r
Remove "Z" to reply via email.

Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair

Robert Harmon wrote:
"news.rcn.com" news.rnc.com wrote in
:

What I am wondering is whether this is worth either the effort or
the cost. And no one seems to have an opinion on whether the end
result will be any better than my Baby, which despite having been
rebuilt by Importika endemically cant produce crema. (I suppose I
can live with all the leaking their repair has caused which they
wont recitfy)

The steam will be the same IF both machines are in good order. They
use the
same heating elements & boilers. So, based on that I'd say it's not
worth doing.

Robert (duck & cover) Harmon
--
http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r
Remove "Z" to reply via email.

Sell it on eBay & get your money back. Be sure to note that it's 240v.

Robert (duck & cover) Harmon
--
http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r
Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair

Is that because you're a one-trick pony, dude? Or is that because you
can't see a way to insert your typical PID self-promotion into this
thread? This is an easy conversion, easy enough that you might be up to
the task yourself.

Robert (There's more to espresso than a stinking Silvia w/PID.)Harmon

daveb wrote:
this whole project is NOT a good idea.

I would never undertake this for myself or a customer, period.

Dave
186
www.hitechespresso.com

Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair

1. Cut the plug off the cord.

2. Install 240V plug like the one on your stove.

3. Make your coffee in the kitchen.

Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair

yes. I agree.

there are quick mills and Isomacs and Gaggias and ???? with pids too.

(There's more to espresso than a [deleted] Silvia w/PID.)Harmon

Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair

"daveb" wrote in message
ups.com...

this whole project is NOT a good idea.

I would never undertake this for myself or a customer, period.

For an $800 machine? I bloody would find a way to make it work.

Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in message

"daveb" wrote in message
ups.com...

this whole project is NOT a good idea.

I would never undertake this for myself or a customer, period.

For an $800 machine? I bloody would find a way to make it work.

why not first plug it into a 220 outlet (I'm sure you've got one somewhere
in your house) and see if the machine even works, before you contemplate
rewiring or running 220 to your kitchen counter?

Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair

"Alan" wrote in message
news
I would never undertake this for myself or a customer, period.

For an $800 machine? I bloody would find a way to make it work.

why not first plug it into a 220 outlet (I'm sure you've got one somewhere
in your house) and see if the machine even works, before you contemplate
rewiring or running 220 to your kitchen counter?

That'd be my first try out.

Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair

euro 220 volt plugs don't work in the US.

euro SOCKETS are difficult to obtain.

Then an adapter to fit US 240 volt plug (typically a clothes dryer --
or less likely, an air conditioner) to a euro 220 volt SOCKET would
have to be made. -- (after finding and buying one)

OR -- other more dangerous methods could be explored.

methinks the OP is / has lost interest in the whole thing.

And BTW, 'homer'

a NEW gaggia of this type is about USD 450.00 max, let alone an
unknown UNwarranteed USED one.

dave
188

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in message

For an $800 machine? I bloody would find a way to make it work.

Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair

"daveb" wrote in message
ups.com...

euro 220 volt plugs don't work in the US.

I'm assuming he will cut off the plug and fit a US 240 V model.

And BTW, 'homer'

a NEW gaggia of this type is about USD 450.00 max, let alone an
unknown UNwarranteed USED one.

You don't know how cheap I am.

Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in message

"daveb" wrote in message
ups.com...

euro 220 volt plugs don't work in the US.

I'm assuming he will cut off the plug and fit a US 240 V model.

And BTW, 'homer'

a NEW gaggia of this type is about USD 450.00 max, let alone an
unknown UNwarranteed USED one.

You don't know how cheap I am.

Hey guys, you don't know how cheap I am!!

After all I am the one who paid virtually nothing for it in the first place!

BTW this machine has a common triangular female plug in a hole in the back
where you can insert ANY power cable from ANY other device, especially any
desktop computer power supply. (It is the simple one which isn't the figure
8 one or the bunny ears one) And I have already said that I do have a 1500
watt transformer in my living room as well as that unusual Spanish-looking
208v A/C socket. i am perfectly prepared to test this thing out.

What I don't see happening is anyone bidding from Europe who is prepared to
pay shipping on it to outside the US???

Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in message

"daveb" wrote in message
ups.com...

this whole project is NOT a good idea.

I would never undertake this for myself or a customer, period.

For an $800 machine? I bloody would find a way to make it work.

(not if you were thinking of it as a replacement for a Baby and were
wondering if there was any acutal difference between the two, - when there
apparently isn't)

Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair

the shipping is SO high that most in EU stay away.

dave

Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair

M Berger wrote in
:

You don't have to sell it to someone in Europe. There are
plenty of US residents that have 220 volts available.

news.rcn.com wrote:

BTW this machine has a common triangular female plug in a hole in the
back where you can insert ANY power cable from ANY other device,
especially any desktop computer power supply. (It is the simple one
which isn't the figure 8 one or the bunny ears one) And I have
already said that I do have a 1500 watt transformer in my living room
as well as that unusual Spanish-looking 208v A/C socket. i am
perfectly prepared to test this thing out.

What I don't see happening is anyone bidding from Europe who is
prepared to pay shipping on it to outside the US???

Or aren't afraid to do the power conversion themself.

Robert (It really is a piece of cake @$60 - 70.) Harmon

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have a question related to this thread.

I am in a somewhat similar situation. I recently bought a
used/refurbished Gaggia Classic Espresso machine. After deciding it
was lacking in heating/steaming ability, I took it to a place that
repairs Gaggias.

They confirmed that it is underpowered. Upon investigation they found
that it was a 220V converted to 110V. It has a 110 boiler and
solenoid. They said the problem is that it needs to be rewired. They
said the only reason I am getting any heating is that there is a
"return of power".They said the refurbisher just hooked the wiring up
as it was and that this is WRONG. They said that for 110 use, it needs
to be completely rewired (differently).........3 hours.......$60 an
hour.

I called the original vendor and he said it is fine. He says bring it
to him and he can adjust the thermostats. The other techs said the
thermostats are OK.

Sooooo, who do I believe? Does the wiring have to be redone when
converting it from 220? I do believe there is definately a power
issue, since it works, but it is very slow to heat up for steaming
and slow to steam. It does not brew at the right temperature either
(160 degrees F instead of 192)

I am not sure who to believe.

I know NOTHING about electronics. What do I need to know to get
someone to fix it right?

Thanks for any guidance.

Craig

-------------= Posted from Ugroups.com =-------------
---= Fast & Free Web Portal to Usenet Newsgroups =---
-------------= http://www.ugroups.com/ =-------------

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

bigjuggler wrote:
[...]

Hi...

There's a wiring diagram here (down at the bottom of the page - for a
120 volt machine, if it's of any help at all.

http://www.partsguru.com/GaggiaClass...ring%20diagram

Take care.

Ken

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"bigjuggler" wrote in message

They said that for 110 use, it needs
to be completely rewired (differently).........3 hours.......$60 an
hour.

3 hours? 20 minutes max for a half way competent tech. Looks like the two
elements might be in series on 220, in parallel on 110. Easy

The solenoid and pump may need a step up transformer to run properly off
110. Not hard.

$20 for a transformer and 1 hour max to do all of that.

Hell, I used to repair popup toasters. Diagnose, repair and test all in
under 5 minutes. Practise makes perfect.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Homer J Simpson wrote:
3 hours? 20 minutes max for a half way competent tech. Looks like the two
elements might be in series on 220, in parallel on 110. Easy

It's also possible that there is only one heater. Run on 230 volts it
heats the water to boiling, on 120 it just gets "warm".

However , I think the three hours at $60 an hour is a polite way of
saying, "we don't want to touch it", without saying no.

I expect they guessed what it would cost to replace it and made you an
offer for close to it, if not more.

The standard electrical system in the U.S. brings 240 volts to your house.
Maybe you can get the person who sold it to you to return it to it's
original condition and have an electrician run a 240 volt line to your
kitchen. If you do, make sure it has a GFI (ground fault interupter on
it).

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message

The standard electrical system in the U.S. brings 240 volts to your house.
Maybe you can get the person who sold it to you to return it to it's
original condition and have an electrician run a 240 volt line to your
kitchen. If you do, make sure it has a GFI (ground fault interupter on
it).

All US kitchen outlets (except in really OLD houses) have 220 volts - it's
required by code. It's easy to add an outlet with the right socket for 220.

Gaggia Synchrony Digital Coffee Machine . UK diy 4 December 5th 06 08:02 PM
Anyone fixed an espresso machine? The Natural Philosopher UK diy 21 October 7th 06 07:06 PM
descaling a Gaggia expresso machine zxcvbob Home Repair 9 July 9th 06 02:46 AM
COFFEE TABLE J T Woodworking 3 January 13th 06 05:38 PM
Coffee Cliff Metalworking 18 September 3rd 05 07:17 AM