Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken Weitzel Ken Weitzel is offline

Default re-wiring Gaggia Coffee Espresso?

bigjuggler wrote:
I have a question related to this thread.

I am in a somewhat similar situation. I recently bought a
used/refurbished Gaggia Classic Espresso machine. After deciding it
was lacking in heating/steaming ability, I took it to a place that
repairs Gaggias.

They confirmed that it is underpowered. Upon investigation they found
that it was a 220V converted to 110V. It has a 110 boiler and
solenoid. They said the problem is that it needs to be rewired. They
said the only reason I am getting any heating is that there is a
"return of power".They said the refurbisher just hooked the wiring up
as it was and that this is WRONG. They said that for 110 use, it needs
to be completely rewired (differently).........3 hours.......$60 an
hour.

I called the original vendor and he said it is fine. He says bring it
to him and he can adjust the thermostats. The other techs said the
thermostats are OK.

Sooooo, who do I believe? Does the wiring have to be redone when
converting it from 220? I do believe there is definately a power
issue, since it works, but it is very slow to heat up for steaming
and slow to steam. It does not brew at the right temperature either
(160 degrees F instead of 192)

I am not sure who to believe.

I know NOTHING about electronics. What do I need to know to get
someone to fix it right?

Thanks for any guidance.

Hi...

There's a wiring diagram here (down at the bottom of the page - for a
120 volt machine, if it's of any help at all.

http://www.partsguru.com/GaggiaClass...ring%20diagram

Take care.

Ken