Posted to sci.electronics.repair
PeterD PeterD is offline

Default Silencing a humming transformer ( + ACDC adaptor that blew )

On 28 Feb 2007 12:05:12 -0800, "
wrote:

I have no experience with electronics except dabbling with a
multimeter.

I wanted to silence a humming transformer, I read somewhere that
covering it in JB Weld would do the job. But I didn't even get that
far.

I struggled to open it up, in the end I managed it quite 'easily' with
a hammer.

Before even putting on any JB Weld, I put the lid back on it and
plugged it in.

Then I flicked the mains power switch and bang it blew.

I know it was the ACDC adaptor because and not a mains plug fuse
because the power cord still worked in another ACDC adaptor

Is there a way for me to open one of these things without encountering
that?
does anybody know about silencing humming / whining transformers

Man, I'll get blasted for this one!

Drill two small holes (carefully) into the case, near the edges.

Position with holes up.

Mix up some epoxy.

Inject the epoxy into one of the holes until it comes out the other
one.

(alternative: one of those devices that both mixes and injects the
mix.)

Wait for a few hours after the epoxy sets to test.

No warranties expressed or implied on this one... bg