Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson Tom Watson is offline

Default Soul-searching question we must all ask ourselves

On 27 Feb 2007 09:53:49 -0800, "FoggyTown" wrote:

If I have to use filler (even a little bit) am I a failure? Not as
fatuous as it sounds, actually. I had a friend who reckoned that the
less he spent on filler, the more skillful he was becoming at
woodworking. OTOH another friend of mine had a cabinet full of
different types and colors. His philosophy was that getting close and
then tuning up with filler was entirely legitimate and, in fact, part
of the woodworker's craft. As long as it's well filled, the look
achievd is the important thing. (BTW I am including sawdust mixed
with glue in the definition of "filler".) Personally, I'll use a
little as long as it isn't noticeable.

FoggyTown

Now, I've read down a bit on this thread and seen the frat boy

Do not pay any attention to those knuckleheads.

When you are at the point where you have to use filler, the only
ratonal test is the Duck Test.

If it looks like a duck and it smells like a duck, and if every other
sonofabitch on earth says it's a duck...

You might still be OK.

I say, slather that filler on.

That's one less sumbitch that is taking work away from me.

(Yeeehaahhh - hope you got the point...)