Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT is offline

Default Preparing for Power Outages?

Don wrote:
"Janet Baraclough" wrote
We normally use
those radio phones which don't work in a power cut, but the old plug-in
one does so I got that out and plugged it in.

Unless the ice/tree branch that took out the powerline took out the
phoneline too.
Its a good idea to have a cellphone too.

One forest fire station I worked at in the mid nineteen seventies was on
a party line. We kept a field phone attached to the line and the station
still had it's old hand crank wall phone. Many of the homes, farms, and
ranches on that line still had there old phone as well. If the line went
down to the very distant telephone central office exchange other folks
on the line could still reach us to obtain help just by throwing a
switch on the old phone and putting in a pair of D cells inside the
battery box. No one that we new of kept A cells around as they were not
needed often enough.
--
Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to.
We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.