Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT is offline

Default Preparing for Power Outages?

A non power dependent auxiliary heating device that runs on a fuel that
you already use is a good back up. Gas wall heaters or floor furnaces
and oil fired stoves are great back ups.
--
Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to.
We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.

Dean Hoffman wrote:
In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Shawn Hirn" wrote in message

Heating where I live is by oil, so I don't need
power to have my heat,

What type of heater that does not need power?

My parents had a Siegler stove in the living room of their old
farmhouse. It burned kerosene. No fan. I think one just threw a bit
of wadded up newspaper in the bottom to light it.
I had a natural gas floor furnace in one house. No fan. The
thermostat ran off a thermocoupler type device, I think. It looked
like this: http://tinyurl.com/2zeweo

Dean