Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Mick Mick is offline

Default Preparing for Power Outages?

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Per Jonathan Grobe:
Anyone care to discuss the advantages of various lighting methods
(a bright light enough to read a book by which would last for
many, many hours) using kerosene, white gas, batteries...

I favor LED flashlights. The one I carry in my bag will go at least 150
hours
on 4 AA cells.

My reasoning is that when we used candles/lanterns we were using
technology that
we seldom used. Therefore out competence with same would have been
minimal at
best. Think about somebody who only drives a car once a year.....
Since the
consequences of misuse are grave with any kind of flame, it seems like
battery
lights are the sensible choice for occasional short-term use.
--
PeteCresswell

I discovered a couple of years ago during a power outage at my parents' that
the disposable chemical light sticks put out a pretty good light. I was able
to easily navigate my way around the house, use the bathroom, etc. I suspect
one could be used for reading if held close enough. Incredibly, they were
still going the next morning. They're pretty cheap, as well. I bought
several at a sporting goods store for my home.