Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
(PeteCresswell) (PeteCresswell) is offline

Default Preparing for Power Outages?

Per Jonathan Grobe:
Anyone care to discuss the advantages of various lighting methods
(a bright light enough to read a book by which would last for
many, many hours) using kerosene, white gas, batteries...

I favor LED flashlights. The one I carry in my bag will go at least 150 hours
on 4 AA cells.

My reasoning is that when we used candles/lanterns we were using technology that
we seldom used. Therefore out competence with same would have been minimal at
best. Think about somebody who only drives a car once a year..... Since the
consequences of misuse are grave with any kind of flame, it seems like battery
lights are the sensible choice for occasional short-term use.
--
PeteCresswell