Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Preparing for Power Outages?

Jonathan Grobe wrote in
:

Anyone care to discuss the advantages of various lighting methods
(a bright light enough to read a book by which would last for
many, many hours) using kerosene, white gas, batteries...

How big a battery? 8-)

battery powered fluorescents.
I've got a 2 tube camping lantern that runs for 40 hrs on one tube,20 hrs
on 2 tubes,cost is about $12 USD,uses 4 D cells.
Then I've got a brighter $10 12v single tube light that I can connect to an
external battery,like a car/scooter SLA battery or my homemade alkaline D
cell powerpack.It carries 8 AA cells internally. I used them both after
Hurricane Charlie;No power for 7 days.

There also are other models of fluorescent camping lanterns.

**you can't use kerosene or white gas lanterns indoors.**
(unless you want to asphyxiate/incinerate yourself;CO poisoning,Also a fire
hazard.)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik