Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Maren Purves Maren Purves is offline

Default Preparing for Power Outages?

Steve Barker wrote:
Oh, and of course they NEVER have power problems in CA. LMAO!!

for some reason this isn't including the rest of the thread ...

is beside the point.
Most parts of California don't get very cold, at least as compared to
the upper midwest. Different areas require different praparation.

We have a lot more power problems here in Hawaii than they ever had in
California, but we never got cold ...
(and our water is really gravity fed. I do keep some bottled water
around in case the filtration fails).

disaster preparedness to me includes:
- food that can be stored without refrigration and (at least in a bind)
be eaten without cooking (you propane stove doesn't help if your house
was flattened by a hurricane or earthquake, but you may still be able
to find the cans or boxes)
- enough batteries of all sizes we use
- enough tarps to cover the house (or what's left standing) including
bungee cords to secure them - as I mentioned, we don't usually get
cold here, but we can get very very wet. Wet can easily cause
hypothermia even here, and in very little time.

Maren, Hilo, HI (do you have any idea what 40"/rain in a day is like?)

Palms, Etc.: Tropical Plant Seeds - Hand-made Jewelry - Plants & Lilikoi
http://www.jach.hawaii.edu/~maren/palms_etc/
- Job's Tears/Coix Lachryma Iobi available -