Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
mm mm is offline

Default Preparing for Power Outages?

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 01:24:18 -0600, Jim Rusling
wrote:

Of course no matter how good the batteries or the design, a cordless
phone won't work in an AC power failure. The battery powers the
handset, but AC powers the "base station".

This is why God gave us wires.

That version on Sony and some of the Vtech phones would use the
battery in the base to power the base station. In my Vtech the base
battery is only good for about 4 hours.

I didn't know that. I apologize for giving bad info. I even have
three cordless vtech phones that someone at a hamfest sold me for 2
dollars (wihtout batteries) and they have the battery in the base, but
I thought it was just to keep a spare one charging for the handset.

Unfortunately only two of the base stations work and only one of the
phones, and it sounds bad. Are V-tech phones cheap that they should
sound bad? Maybe I should try to fix one of the other phones or
improve the sound on this one.

Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired