Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair
Michael Black Michael Black is offline

Default Preparing for Power Outages?

"Don K" ) writes:
"Michael Black" wrote in message ...
"Steve Barker" ) writes:
Why fill the bathtub? Does a power failure cause your water to quit?

The pumps at the filtration plant stop working if the outage is bad
enough. At the very lest, it results in contaminated water.

Michael

I wonder what's in all those towers that look like giant golf balls.
If the outage is bad enough, will gravity stop working?

So you get all your water from rain?

This is not a theoretical instance.

When we had an ice storm here in 1998, which brought down some of the
long distance power lines from the hydroelectric generators (and some of
the towers that held up those lines), it was said afterwards that we
were within hours of having no water. I can't remember whether they
were talking no filtered water or no water at all, but after the fact
they did say that if that had happened, an evacuation of this large
city was a possibility.

Michael