Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Steve Barker Steve Barker is offline

Default Preparing for Power Outages?

4 hours!? you're kidding, right? We have those monthly. No action
required.

--
Steve Barker

"BR" wrote in message
Jonathan Grobe wrote:
We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

Thanks.

Where I live, we have 4 hour outages nearly every year. Not long enough
to lose food in the freezer, but long enough to be annoying, so I
installed a 15 KVA diesel generator, complete with automatic transfer
switch, which runs off the same #2 fuel oil that the "conventional"
heating system runs on. The longest that I had to be on backup power was
24 hours. In theory, I could run off the generator for a month before
needing more fuel delivered.

Before I had the generator, I would use the old "spring box" which was the
water supply for the place before the deep well was installed for a water
backup. You have to boil the spring box water before drinking, but it's
OK as it is for flushing toilets and the like.
--
Remove the TOS star ship captain to reply.