Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
[email protected] hchickpea@hotmail.com is offline

Default Preparing for Power Outages?

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 20:44:10 +0000 (UTC), Jonathan Grobe
wrote:

We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

Thanks.

I find this and the various responses fascinating. We went through
weeks without mains power after hurricane Wilma without any problem,
keeping the refrigerator powered, fans at night, hot water,
clotheswasher, electric chainsaw, lights, tv, etc. Didn't need AC,
but coulda had that too. I didn't even bother to go to a gas station
for a couple of weeks. Had planned for the event years ago.

When I lived up north, a barrel stove that I had made and installed in
the house served during power outages and was largely what kept us
toasty for all winter. The stuff in my car alone could have made
reasonable survival possible for at least a couple of days.

I must just be wired differently, I can't even consider the
possibility of not prepping for basic stuff like this.

Gather together a few basics:
a gallon of distilled water per person (it'll keep longer and can be
used to cleanse wounds)
a couple days worth of canned food - canned beef stew can be eaten
cold or hot and heated in the can. Peanut butter lasts a long time
and is high calorie
a good strong hunting knife
a blanket and/or space blanket
a good book (can also be used to start fires or as tp)
waterproof matches or lighter
a change of warm clothing - sometimes clothing gets wet
a half dozen candles for heating water and food, light, and starting
fires
any medicines
whatever else floats your boat.