Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Default Preparing for Power Outages?

I'm with you, that the first two days of my power cut were an
adventure in camping in. By the third day, the coldness had
soaked into the very center of my trailer, and it was really
getting miserable. If I'd not had the generator to run the
furnace, I would have had to move my matress into the kitchen and
live there.

Interesting about the summer and winter LPG. Much the same with
diesel road fuel, I've heard. A trucker going north with a tank
full of summer fuel might have jelly in the fuel lines when he
gets to some place cold.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"John Gilmer" wrote in message
:
:
: Oh, the first 48 hours is almost (and, in some respects,
literally) a
: picnic.
:
: It's the second and the start of the THIRD 48 hours when it
beings to get
: "old."
:
: That's what happened to us in the "Northern Neck" of VA when
Isabel hit the
: fan.
:
: We get 4-6 hour outages every time there are high winds or
significant snow.
: Ice storms can put out "off the grid" for a day.
:
: Unfortunately, our generator is just about impossible to start
when it's
: below 32F.
:
: And yes, we need electricity for our water and heat. We have
"back up" LPG
: heaters. Next on the "wish list" is a kerosene heater that
will also
: provide some light.
:
: AND we found out that hard way that LPG comes in a "winter mix"
and a
: "summer mix." The difference is that the "summer mix" only
provides
: enough gas pressure to make the regulator work when the tank is
over 70F.
:
: NB: LPG isn't necessarily pure propane. It's often a mixture
of propane
: and butane and "whatever."
:
: