Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Changing a light switch

wrote:
On Feb 25, 1:01 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:

Any new installation or any replacement receptacle in a bathroom would have
to be GFCI protected

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

al.net...

In article ,
says...

wrote:

I have a standard light switch in my bathroon I'd like to replace.
The new swich I bought is a switch and an outlet all in one, switch on
top half outlet on bottom half..

Can someone please explain how to hook this up.

Current I have black/black in and out of the old switch and the
green/ bare wire. The white wire it capped off in the back not
connected to anything.

Thanks for your assitance,
Felix

Step # 1 Make sure that that circuit is on a GFI. If not likely
adding an outlet like that (which I believe are not available in GFI)
would
be a code violation .

why would that be a code violation?- Hide quoted text -

Wow, I did not expect so many different posts, but thank you.

After looking at the situation I have a GFI outlet right next to this
new switch/outlet, so after failing to think about it at 1st, I just
supplied to new outlet with a black & white wire from the exsisting
GFI, this making the new outlet a GFI.

Thanks again to all, it was from reading all the post I thought this
would be the easiest way.

Felix

Ah, makes sense. So you connected the feed to the new recep. from the
"Load" side of the existing GFCI outlet? that'll work.

If there is a recep. in your light fixture (some have them) I would
recommend feeding the switch from the GFCI as well, just in case someone
uses it.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.