Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Aluminum screens - no one does it anymore?

Steve Barker wrote:
probably aluminum. Seems a lot of things are reverting back to the things
of the past because they're better.

I sure hope so.

I remember when I was a kid, my grandmother used to cook in the
basement. Y'see, there was a nice new range in the kitchen, and this
hugeass old thing had been moved down into the basement and hooked back
up again, you know, just in case she needed to cook a big meal for
Thanksgiving or Christmas or something. Well apparently at some point
the new one broke, and she claimed that she always liked the old one
better anyway. I thought she was insane, and also worried that she was
going to break her neck on the open stairs.

I think I understand now, or at least am beginning to.

I only wish I could have geared that stove, and the matching gas fridge,
from the basement when she moved out... if nothing else, they just
looked vintage cool and knowing what I know now, that stove probably
*did* cook better than the new one. well, there was also the workshop
full of 40's vintage Delta woodworking tools... I always knew I wanted
those, but at the time I was in no position to offer anything resembling
a fair price for them (and I'm sure I could have had them for free if
I'd asked, but I know that nobody in my family was ever rich) and I had
nowhere to put them anyway, being a college student at the time...

10 years later I have a place to put them, but I'm sure they're long gone

BTW my grandmother is still alive and well, so apparently all that
walking up and down the steps was good for her!

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel