Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Aluminum screens - no one does it anymore?

I have a few overhead screens - over the pool, over a planter area like
below:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/IMG_0167.jpg

That are aluminum insect screens. They are very tough and durable but now
worn after many many years. I asked a few companies to replace them but all
they carry now are the fiber glass plastic versions. No one does aluminum
screens anymore? Mine even had the security wires built into the mesh.

Can I buy aluminum screens somewhere and replace them myself?

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 10:22�pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I have a few overhead screens - over the pool, over a planter area like
below:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/IMG_0167.jpg

That are aluminum insect screens. *They are very tough and durable but now
worn after many many years. *I asked a few companies to replace them but all
they carry now are the fiber glass plastic versions. *No one does aluminum
screens anymore? *Mine even had the security wires built into the mesh.

Can I buy aluminum screens somewhere and replace them myself?

MC

try local old style hardware store

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Google for suppliers, I have seen aluminum, copper and heavy duty fabric. It
just takes a little work to round up.

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 23, 10:22?pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I have a few overhead screens - over the pool, over a planter area like
below:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/IMG_0167.jpg

That are aluminum insect screens. They are very tough and durable but now
worn after many many years. I asked a few companies to replace them but
all
they carry now are the fiber glass plastic versions. No one does aluminum
screens anymore? Mine even had the security wires built into the mesh.

Can I buy aluminum screens somewhere and replace them myself?

MC

try local old style hardware store

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 9:36 pm, " wrote:
On Feb 23, 10:22?pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:

I have a few overhead screens - over the pool, over a planter area like
below:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/IMG_0167.jpg

That are aluminum insect screens. ?They are very tough and durable but now
worn after many many years. ?I asked a few companies to replace them but all
they carry now are the fiber glass plastic versions. ?No one does aluminum
screens anymore? ?Mine even had the security wires built into the mesh.

Can I buy aluminum screens somewhere and replace them myself?

MC

try local old style hardware store

That's right. Remove the frame and take it to a real hardware store.
Ace or True Value usually repair sceens and screen frames. The metal
screen is stil available and they will use andy kind of screen you
specify.

Just don't expect perfect results with metal screen. It is hard to
get smooth even if you are experienced. Yes, you can do it yourself
if you have a mind to. I occasionally replaced mine for while. Now I
just pay the guy at Ace on the Lake.

There is nothing wrong with nylon screen. Ask for the heavier
stuff. They call it pet-resistant. It is better suited for you if
you want to DIY. I use that pet resistant screen for replacements and
it is quite durable and stays smooth.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 22:22:09 -0500, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

I have a few overhead screens - over the pool, over a planter area like
below:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/IMG_0167.jpg

That are aluminum insect screens. They are very tough and durable but now
worn after many many years. I asked a few companies to replace them but all
they carry now are the fiber glass plastic versions. No one does aluminum
screens anymore? Mine even had the security wires built into the mesh.

Can I buy aluminum screens somewhere and replace them myself?

MC

Try a company that builds screened pool enclosures. They get busy
after hurricane season.

--
Oren

excused from saving Universes."

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 24 Feb 2007 08:07:28 -0800, "Lawrence"
wrote:

There is nothing wrong with nylon screen. Ask for the heavier
stuff. They call it pet-resistant. It is better suited for you if
you want to DIY. I use that pet resistant screen for replacements and
it is quite durable and stays smooth.

I don't get it. I have no ojbectiion to aluminum or vinycl, but
wouldn't aluminum be MORE pet-resistant?

And yes, the ACE hardware just west of Baltimore does aluminum or any
other kind of screens. Getting the burglar alarm wires put in again
will probably cost what it did the first time, adjsted for inflation.

I don't remember how much that is, but with the old ones as a guide,
and salvaging any special parts from the old ones, one might be able
to do it himself.

Or, I wonder if the same guy might do both the screen and the wires.
That is, check with whomever the burglar alarm companies would send
you to about how much for the whole job.
Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

wrote:

[...]

The pet resistant screen is tougher but especially in screen doors the
spline will pop out before the screen tears.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 15:37:49 -0600, "Steve Barker"
wrote:

Most every where has aluminum screen . Even wal-mart sells it. I can't
believe these threads go on and on and on over nothing.

Nothing? This is an eternal and earth-shaking battle, between the
metals of the past, and the oil-based plastics of the present.

But what will the future bring?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
probably aluminum. Seems a lot of things are reverting back to the things
of the past because they're better.

I sure hope so.

I remember when I was a kid, my grandmother used to cook in the
basement. Y'see, there was a nice new range in the kitchen, and this
hugeass old thing had been moved down into the basement and hooked back
up again, you know, just in case she needed to cook a big meal for
Thanksgiving or Christmas or something. Well apparently at some point
the new one broke, and she claimed that she always liked the old one
better anyway. I thought she was insane, and also worried that she was
going to break her neck on the open stairs.

I think I understand now, or at least am beginning to.

I only wish I could have geared that stove, and the matching gas fridge,
from the basement when she moved out... if nothing else, they just
looked vintage cool and knowing what I know now, that stove probably
*did* cook better than the new one. well, there was also the workshop
full of 40's vintage Delta woodworking tools... I always knew I wanted
those, but at the time I was in no position to offer anything resembling
a fair price for them (and I'm sure I could have had them for free if
I'd asked, but I know that nobody in my family was ever rich) and I had
nowhere to put them anyway, being a college student at the time...

10 years later I have a place to put them, but I'm sure they're long gone

BTW my grandmother is still alive and well, so apparently all that
walking up and down the steps was good for her!

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel