Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Changing a light switch

Correct N8, the only silver screw should be adjacent to the outlet part of
the device, for the neutral. Toller knows this, he just had a momentary
lapse of reason

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
He said white (silver) screw on the SWITCH. I'm following him but I
didn't think that switches generally used silver screws for anything,
usually line and load are both brass IME. So hot black to "line" dead
black to "load" (which are probably both brass) then white to the silver
screw on the recep. and pigtail the green screw with a bare wire to the
existing ground wires.

nate

RBM wrote:
I don't follow you, and I am an electrician!!! If he connects it as you
describe, with the black "load" wire connected to a white screw, he'll
have a dead short when he flips the breaker back on

"Toller" wrote in message

wrote in message
egroups.com...

I have a standard light switch in my bathroon I'd like to replace.
The new swich I bought is a switch and an outlet all in one, switch on
top half outlet on bottom half..

Can someone please explain how to hook this up.

Current I have black/black in and out of the old switch and the green/
bare wire. The white wire it capped off in the back not connected to
anything.

Thanks for your assitance,
Felix

With a voltage detector, determine which of the black wires is hot.
Attach that to pigtails going to the two brass screws (if the switch and
outlet are connected already, you can just attach the hot to a brass
screw; no pigtail necessary). Attach the other black wire to the white
screw on the switch. The switch is set.
Attach the white wire to the white screw on the outlet. Where-ever the
other end of the white wire is, presumably at a light, attach it to the
other white wires. You should be good to go on the outlet.
If you don't follow me, you had better hire an electrician.

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel