Posted to alt.home.repair
cox cox is offline

Default cracking tiles and cracks in drywall

Folks,

I have been losing sleep and my head over cracks in drywall and a
dozen tile cracks. I live in North Dallas and have experienced this
over some period of time. All of the drywall cracks are about 1/8" or
less. There are some cracks at the corners of the windows that have
stayed the same for about 15-16 months now. There is one crack that
runs horizontally in the ceiling of the houses which is about 6 feet
in length. This crack is about 1/8" at the start and then decreases.
I have not noticed any problems closing any windows or doors (atleast
not so far, knock on wood!!) All of the tile cracks are about 1/16" or
less. Some are hairline that can be barely seen. Others are about
1/16" inch. I have walked around the house and seen some minor cracks
in bricks in 1 or 2 places. I do not see any cracks in the
foundation. Ours is a slab on foundation (without any basement). Ours
is a 2 story house. I have seen some hairline cracks in the garage
concrete floor. I will be calling an engineer for an evaluation, but
before that wanted to get an understanding about what this all means.
What do the cracks in tiles mean, what do the cracks in the drywall
mean? Some of the windows have vertical cracks at the place where
caulking and drywall meet. Not all windows have this pattern, like
for example the windows closest to the corners seem to have the
problem but the interior ones seem not to much of cracking. I have
seen some caulking cracks. The tile cracks all are in the center of
the house and seem to run 1-2 tile at some spots. Please help with
your opinions. Meanwhile, this house is 7 years old and still under
warranty with regard to foundation and structural elements like
framing etc. Thanks for your help.

stony