Posted to rec.woodworking
N Hurst N Hurst is offline

Default I finally have a gloat!!!

On Feb 23, 10:16 am, wrote:
On Feb 23, 6:51 am, "HotRdd" wrote:

AMEN - I always wondered why people feel the need to correct your grammar,
when they know exactly what you were trying to say. I don't remember anyone
asking. If someone stood in my shop and constantly told me how to use my
tools "better" or do something better, I'd kick there @ss to the street. A
few people I know have this problem and my father in-law and I always joke
that if the house was burning down and we yelled "YaAll the house is burnin"
they would stand inside correcting us. Unfortunately a lot of us prefer to
spend our days working, apposed to studying how we could talk about it
"correctly".

HOWEVER, unless you are "blessed" with supreme self-confidence, and
don't give a hoot what people think of you, you'd better pay a bit of
attention to your spelling and grammar, because what you say and how
you say it affect the opinions of others as to your intelligence.
However unfair that may be, you might be "loosing" out on
opportunities because you appear to be unworthy of further attention.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

While this is true, I do have a problem with people showing up in a
discussion in progress simply to correct someone, and contribute
nothing else. I admit I misspelled vise. If I could have edited the
entry, I would have, but this format doesn't allow that.

As it is, my meaning was quite clear, and issuing a corrective message
in that manner is pretty much the equivalent of intellictual
masturbation in my opinion. There's only one person it pleases, and it
gets the thread all messy.

Anyways, that's all I have to say on this subject because I really do
try to avoid "internet arguments." I would LOVE to read other people
gloating about deals they've scored, though.

-Nathan