Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alex Alex is offline

Default Gas pipe sleeving in walls

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 21:35:20 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

Alex wrote:
Just a quick question, hope somebody can help. I know gas pipe
installations with pipes through walls have to be sleeved, but I am
unsure about the following:

1. Do existing installations that are not sleeved now have to be
re-sleeved to comply? Most of the gas pipes in the house were
installed 30+ years ago.

2. Does the sleeving apply to non-cavity walls?

3. What should the sleeve be sealed to the pipe with, and also what
should you seal the sleeve into the wall with?

TIA.

Alex

The overall effect is to prevent the copper of the pipe, and this applies to
water pipes too, from coming into contact with mortar or plaster.....there
are several ways of doing this, but with existing pipes through walls, the
easiest way has to be expanding foam - this creates a barrier and prevents
the alkalis attacking the copper, with new installations, any plastic
tubing, denzo tape(the greasy stuff), PVC tape, then point over, plaster as
normal etc.

I doubt if anyone is interested in your pipes and whether they are up to
regulations etc, but I have seen copper pipes almost corroded through within
10 years in areas of constant damp where the alkalis are leeching out of the
plaster/mortar....in very dry conditions it's a rarity to see any corrrosion
at all.

There is a probability in the future that I would be renting the
property, in which case as Landlord I would require a gas safety
certificate. I don't want to do work now for myself that will require
re-doing in order to obtain the certificate. As for existing pipework
being sleeved, if it will require it to be certified, then it makes
sense to remove it and re-do now rather than later.

Alex