Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlieb charlieb is offline

Default Musing about the best laid plans of turners like you and me.

Late to this one.

I tend to do "series" stuff. I'll get into finials for a while and
turn a bunch. I'll run variations of one that is interesting,
often refining a combination of profiles 'til there's no change
I can come up with that will improve things. Then I started
hollowing / piercing some parts of the finials using small
dental burs.

Currently I'm into "capsule" shaped lidded boxes - with finials.
Found the proportions that looked right by the fourth or
fifth one. Then started playing with adding internal lids and
finials. When I had that down I started adding a contrasting
wood "base". Think I'll start sculpting areas next, or maybe
experiement with texturing.

Because relatively small turnings don't require much wood
and can be done quicker than bowls and larger hollow forms
I can evolve from a basic idea and in subsequent pieces, refine
it to the "n"th degree or until it gets boring.

When I've taken an idea to the point where I really like it
THEN I may do some scaled drawings to see if there are
any underlying proportions to be discovered. If there are,
I may try applying those proportions to something else.
The drawings and notes go in a design folder for future
reference / inspiration.

Keeping digital images of what I've done is handy too.
With PhotoShop I can tweek the proportions, try different
combinations of parts, change the color of the wood etc.
If I find an interesting look I'll try it in wood.

I sometimes take an image of a piece I've found and bring
it into a drawing program. One one "layer" I'll put a red
line with the slope being tall version of "the golden ratio"
and a green line with the slope being the wide version of
the golden ratio. I can then slide either line over the image
of the piece and see if the line intersects any control points
in the piece. Can do the same sort of things with lines
based on Thirds or Fifths. Searching for patterns/
proportions can be useful. In furniture, "graduated"
drawer heights can take a Ho-Hum design up a notch.

On some pieces it can be the base / foot that makes or
breaks a piece. It can be something subtle which lifts
the piece off whatever it's sitting on - just enough to
make the piece appear to float - just a little. Or it could
be a barely noticeable bead or slight upswept lip which
makes the piece more interesting but not consciously
noticable.

Ideas are everywhere. The nice thing about turning
is that you can explore many avenues and approaches
- for very little cost in time or materials.

charlie b