Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default For anyone who thinks home wind turbines are a good idea

On 2007-02-22 19:24:38 +0000, Ed Sirett said:

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 17:23:30 +0000, Dwayne & Angela wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1398220.ece

He spent £13000 for a windturbine that only give 9 pence worth of leccy a
week????
surely the B&Q ones do better than that?

What amazes me is not those figures but the victim was (claims to be) an
Engineer. It would be a lamentable but plausible fact if a general member
of the public was conned (by the marketing, innumerate prose, band wagons
etc.). It says a lot uncomplimentary things about the victim that
was sold this toy who could not evaluate the suitablility of equipment
costing £13k.

Ah.. but if you believe in it so much and really want it to work then
failure is not on the list of options...

until reality sets in of course.

To those who say "the device will pay for it's energy of manufacture
and installation", I have no disagreement in principle. It's just what
damage the £10k+ profit shared out along the way will do the environment,
how many foreign holidays, 4X4s, garden jacussis and patio heaters will
that pay for?

Quite a few. Such is the cynicism of the purveyors of these goods.