Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Lanciani Dan Lanciani is offline

Default Grounding--ground wire

In article , (John Gilmer) writes:

| Using the "neutral" as a ground was generally used in two specific cases:
|
| 1) "High Current" 220/240 volt appliances which means stoves and electric
| dryers. Generally speaking, the neutral normally carried a tiny fraction
| of the total current. In "modern" stoves, that's just the oven lamp and
| the clock/electronics.

My new and previous stoves run the broiler element intermittently at
half voltage during bake cycles. The previous stove definitely did
this by driving the broiler element with 120V from neutral to one leg.
I'm pretty sure the new stove does this as well, but I don't have
the schematic in front of me. Not a huge current to be sure, but
something to keep in mind. (I do have a three-wire hookup.)

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com