Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default replacing washing machine hoses

"Toller" wrote in
:

"mm" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 21:07:29 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

A neighbor woke up to an inch of water on their first floor from a
burst washing machine hose. Got me to worrying.

I replaced mine with braided steel hoses; even splurged and got the
ones that shut off in case of a leak.

I know the rubber ones are supposed to be replace every 5 years, or
something like that; do the steel ones every have to be routinely
replace? Nothing on the package about it.

As I see it, the rubber hoses swell before they split/burst and the
steel braid keeps the hose from swelling. So the entire layer of
rubber would have to disintegrate in some spot before they would
leak.

Yes, that is how it seems to me; and that ought to take 25 years I
should think.

But I have no idea about your bigger question.

I'm going to go look for the ones that shut off in case of a leak,
especially if they are only 22 dollars. That's 44 for a pair or no?

No, $22 for the pair. They only shut off on big leaks, since they
can't tell small leaks from normal usage. But hey, it is the big
leaks that are most dangerous. 6' was only a dollar more.
I was tempted by a shutoff valve connected to water supply that shuts
the water off if sensors by the washing machine, water heater, etc.
see water. But there is not enough room between my main shut off and
the T to the washer for it, and I didn't want to deal with moving the
main shutoff. Someday.

Well considering they only pay those Chinese workers like 3 cents a day,
for $22 you should be able to get one of 'em to sit there and watch it
for about 2 years for any leak,,,