Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry Harry is offline

Default replacing washing machine hoses

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 21:30:52 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Toller" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Toller" wrote in message
A neighbor woke up to an inch of water on their first floor from a burst
washing machine hose. Got me to worrying.

I replaced mine with braided steel hoses; even splurged and got the ones
that shut off in case of a leak.

I know the rubber ones are supposed to be replace every 5 years, or
something like that; do the steel ones every have to be routinely
replace? Nothing on the package about it.

How much did those hoses cost?

$22 for a pair of 6' at HD.

OK. There are 1825 days in 5 years. $22 / 1825 days = $0.0120547 per day.
That tells me they should be replaced every five years. Or, if they're going
to fail sooner, try and replace them the day before that happens.

Seriously...how can anyone answer this question? The crap's made in China,
right?

One day, at an office at a major seaport in California (where Chinese
imports are being inspected): One old, tired inspector looks into a
container and sees stuff he doesn't like (maybe he wished he could
afford the things). He writes "contents really are pathetic" on the
container. Other employees see this and thinks that's what they should
write on containers of Chinese goods. They are busy so they usually
just write the initials, CRAP.

Myths are often more "deluded imagination" than "great truth". Not
always.