Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] marks542004@yahoo.com is offline

Default Grounding--ground wire

On Feb 20, 9:42 am, "Pop`" wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
Herb and Eneva wrote:
Will someone please explain the difference between the grounding
wire---white, and the grounded wire---green, in a circut? They both
go to the same busbar.

When everything is working as intended, the white wire carries
current and the green-cooper does not.

Correct

The only time the white is

not carrying current is when nothing on the pair of circuits is on or
when there is identical load on both legs of the circuit.

Wrong. When all is off, the white wire sits at ground potential. When all
is on, it still sits at ground potential + any tiny voltages created by the
resistance of the wire and depending on the length of the wire.

In short the without a fault the white can kill you the green
can't.

Wrong. When all is OK, the white wire has zero or very nearly zero volts
potential.

If the green fails it can damage equipment on that circuit as it
may suddenly get 240V rather than the expected 120V.

Only if it were damaged at or outside the main panel.

You can't safely eliminate either one as they both perform critical
duties and can not be shared legally or safely.

True, but your reasoning is all Phhhttt! Please return to studying.

Pop`

Are you saying that if I grab a white wire in a household circuit and
stick my feet in a bathtub of water , that I will be perfectly fine
because both the wire and my feet are at the same potential ???

Maybe I misunderstood you ?