Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default grind off solder mask to get down to copper

wrote in message
ups.com...
On 20 Feb, 04:16, "Werty" wrote:

Whats the chemical to take off the

solder mask , so i can solder to tiny

PCB traces ?

metal scourer or blade.

I guess some acid that

wont harm copper .

no such thing

NT

I agree with meow. It is very difficult successfully hand soldering to
genuinely tiny traces, but I guess it depends what you and I define as "
tiny ". I'm talking traces of less than a half milimetre, separated by a
similar amount. I always use a scraper to remove the solder resist. I have
an Exacto scalpel with a blunt curved blade fitted for the job. I then
liberally tin the exposed copper tracks, and then solder-mop them back flat,
before soldering the new wires on, using a tiny amount of liquid flux, and
the finest gauge solder that you can get. The flux gives serious help with
getting the solder to stay *on* the tracks where you want it, rather than
flowing *between* them, where you don't ...

When I've finished, I usually put a small bead of two-part epoxy in a line
across the new conductors, back a short distance from where they are
soldered, to offer a bit of mechanical strength, as the tiny tracks will
lift if they get the slightest pull from the new wires.

Arfa