Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Trip to Japan

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 16:22:16 GMT, "KaiS." wrote:

DonkeyHody wrote:
On Jan 29, 6:43 pm, "Never Enough Money"
wrote:
There's a 50-50 chance I'll be going to Japna this spring. If I do,
where do I go to find the world class chisels and knives? I just
thumbed through Lonely Planet (and the index, too) and didn't see any
mention....

Cheers and TIA.

I lived in Japan for 2 years. If I were going to Japan for a visit,
I'd spend my time sightseeing instead of looking for tools. The
language barrier constantly works against you. You'll be able to make
them understand that you want a chisel. Beyond that, communication is
difficult. Good tools aren't cheap over there either. Taxi fare
alone may eat any savings. Do your shopping with a reliable stateside
vendor by internet or catalog and enjoy your trip.

DonkeyHody
"Every man is my superior in that I can learn from him." - Thomas
Carlyle

As for the language barrier, three words went a long way when I was
there 20 years ago. "Domo origato" = Thank you very much. (or "domo"
for "thanks") but formal is better. "Doy tosha mo-sho" is "you're
welcome". I have forgotten what "please" was (Google it maybe). But if
you can master those, the Japanese are a very polite society and simple
courtesy will serve you well.

While they'll go a long way, they won't get what kind of chisel you
want across to the chiselmeister.