Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mick6 Mick6 is offline

Default Cavity downstairs and solid wall upstairs?

In article ,
"Bob Mannix" wrote:

Yes very common (in spite of what some "tradesmen" may say). My last house
(1928) was exactly thus. They are usually rendered top half as well, to give
weatherproofing to the solid construction upstairs. There will be no cavity
in the top half. By the time we had built extensions there just wasn't
enough cavity to make cavity insulating remotely cost effective.

Well, we just had a quote -- £205 for the side wall and the front.
There's a new insulated extension at the back.

Surveyor said it was hardly worth doing as most of the heat would escape
though the upstairs walls anyway. He phoned the office and they said he
should quote 2-bed bungalow instead of a 3-bed semi to take account of
the reduced wall area. (They seem to work on fixed rates.)

It strikes me as quite expensive but on the other hand, gas bills are
expensive and the neighbour claimed she could tell the difference after
hers was done.

Anyone any thoughts on viabilty? Will it take decades to pay back that
amount?

There's no DIY method by any chance...? :-)