Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Any such thing as in-place pipe dope?

On Feb 18, 8:29 am, "Steve Barker"
wrote:
As far as I know, there is NO such thing as a left hand pipe thread or
fitting. It was a troll posting that. Not to mention, EVEN if there were
such a thing, both ends would surely not tighten up at the same time.

--
Steve Barker

"BobK207" wrote in message

oups.com...

Since this special coupling has left hand thread on one side, the end
of the mating pipe must have left hand thread as well.

Sounds like all this left hand / right hand stuff would be more work
than taking the whole thing apart.

Since I can't see the installation from here, I suggested adding a
union ....since the area in question is above ground & accessible.

Using that left hand / right hand coupling sounds like a good way to
booby trap some poor guy years from now. esp since the work is not
covered up.

Union couplings should be used only in situations where the pipe
would

need to be opened for service

Cite?

I've a fair amount of gas line work done & they always seem to put in
a few unions along the way.

cheers
Bob

Steve-

I thought the left / right coupling was a troll myself.....but then I
remembered a situation where an old plumber suggested one YEARS
ago......they went with a union cuz' they had the parts & pipe tools
on site AND the union was going to be accessible. For hidden work
you are required to use tapered threads only & thus would need a L/R
coupling.

I checked on www.mcmaster.com and they do indeed sell them.

"If mcmaster doesn't have it, you probably don't need it"

cheers
Bob