Posted to rec.woodworking
James \Cubby\ Culbertson James \Cubby\ Culbertson is offline

Default Help with Jointer Setup

thanks Bill. I bought an indicator and base a while back but just haven't
figured out how to take more than one measurement without having to move the
thing to another location, thereby changing it's original reference. I'll
learn it one of these days. Thanks for the encouragement!

"Bill in Detroit" wrote in message
James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
Are you using a dial indicator to align your outfeed table with the
blades? If not, I highly recommend it. The TS-aligner Jr works well for
this task.

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

No. I've never been able to figure out how to use a dial indicator for
anything. I set it up, then find I need to move it to get another
"confirming" measurement so to speak. I know, I'm stupid in that
respect. I did finally get the jointer working well. Just took a few
minutes setting the outfeed table and blades.
Cheers,
cc

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000713-4, 02/14/2007
Tested on: 2/14/2007 6:56:25 PM

Cubby ... find a machinist who is willing to show you how. The whole thing
takes just moments. The indicator is used for a single series of
measurements with the understanding that you will need to do the same 3
second setup each time you start over.

I could show you how in 5 minutes and show you WAAAY mor than you will
ever need to know in 30. But I doubt if I can write anything up here that
will make much sense.

Understand that 1) the indicator must be firmly attached to a stable base.
2) this stable base is resting on / sliding over the reference plane (ie;
on a jointer, one of the tables) 3) the surface being adjusted will end up
parallel to that plane. 4) the adjustements to be made will consist of
something called 'successive approximation' ... even if you make the
measurements under laboratory conditions, there will always be measureable
error left. If you can no longer measure the error, great. But a better
test instrument could. 5) the smallest level of error you can reliably
count on is 1/2 of 1 division on the dial. That is, a dial indictaor
marked in .001" increments can be relied on to within .0005" +- .00025" To
put this in perspective: at .003" you cannot see wich of two blocks is the
larger. Below .001" it is highly unlikely that you can feel the difference
between them.

All of which is to say ... don't waste time trying for more accuracy and
precision than you need. If you can reliably make cuts to within 1/64" of
where you intended them, you are a better man than I am and far better
than many who nonetheless do outstanding work.

An indicator is an excellent way to set a blade. Mark my words. But it is
not the only way to skin that particular cat.

Bill
rascal less in the world.
Thomas Carlyle (1795 - 1881)
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000713-4, 02/14/2007
Tested on: 2/14/2007 7:15:06 PM