Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Chris is offline

Default Sponge Washer - Toilette Tank

Michael B wrote:

Stop.
Hold everything.
I propose that there are not enough parts in your repair kit.

There are two ways to replace that tank.

The right way, and the way it's done regularly, but is wrong.
The way that I suspect "Joe" uses.
Proper way should include some narrow nuts and washers
under the tank, snugged up to stop any leak at the bolt
holes (no worry about them being too tight). That way, with
the flapper valve closed and the flush valve in place, you could
carry the tank around without a leak. And then you would
put it into place, snug the nuts and washers up on the
underside of the toilet, and the tank would be held in place
WITHOUT having to tighten anything to stop a leak.
Because if all you do is tighten from under the toilet to
stop a leak, you could well break porcelain first.

The kit comes with 2 bolts, 2 hex nuts, 1 spud washer, 1 sponge washer, 2
wing nuts, 4 rubber washers, 4 brass washers. The original bolts appear to
be in good condition.

The original bolts have a rubber washer that goes on the inside of the tank.
On the underside of the tank there are two plastic wing nuts. Then the
bolts pass through the bowl part of the toilette and are secured with
another set of plastic wing nuts. I'm assuming plastic is good since that
will not rust?

I think I may have the wrong kit after all. The kit is made by Moen and my
toilette is a Gerber. When I lifted the tank off the bowl and looked under
it, I was surprised that the sponge washer was much bigger. The diameter
appears to be about the same. The depth of the original washer is
deeper/longer than the one that is in the kit. Now that I know what the
original one looks like, I can go back and see if I can find a comparable
one I guess.

--
Chris