Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sponge Washer - Toilette Tank

Hello,

I'm painting my bathroom (1 sink, 1 toilette). I removed the tank from the
toilette so that I can properly paint behind the toilette. Before I removed
the tank, I Googled and read that I should pick up a Toilette Repair Kit.
So, before I removed the tank, I picked up the kit.

According to the article that I read, it said that I should replace the
hardware (two screws, rubber washers and the sponge washer).

Is it necessary that I replace the sponge washer? The existing washer
appears to be much bigger than the one in the repair kit. It appears to be
in good shape.

Thanks,

--
Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 17, 5:18 pm, Chris wrote:
Hello,

I'm painting my bathroom (1 sink, 1 toilette). I removed the tank from the
toilette so that I can properly paint behind the toilette. Before I removed
the tank, I Googled and read that I should pick up a Toilette Repair Kit.
So, before I removed the tank, I picked up the kit.

According to the article that I read, it said that I should replace the
hardware (two screws, rubber washers and the sponge washer).

Is it necessary that I replace the sponge washer? The existing washer
appears to be much bigger than the one in the repair kit. It appears to be
in good shape.

Thanks,

--
Chris

You must have picked the wrong size kit. Makes sense to try a
reinstallation of the old one and if you're lucky you'll be all done.
If it diesn't seal well, don't compensate by overtightening the hold
down bolts - too much of a chance to crack the porcelain. Take it back
apart and take the old gasket to the store to compare to available
parts. If the box store doesn't have the correct size, try Ace
Hardware or a plumbing supply house. Good luck.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:

On Feb 17, 5:18 pm, Chris wrote:
[...]

Thanks Joe for the advice. I'll go back and see if I can find one that is
similar. Not sure if it matters, but I bought this kit from Kent hardware
store. The kit is "MOEN M5890 Tank Seal Kit".

Again, thanks.

--
Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stop.
Hold everything.
I propose that there are not enough parts in your repair kit.

There are two ways to replace that tank.

The right way, and the way it's done regularly, but is wrong.
The way that I suspect "Joe" uses.
Proper way should include some narrow nuts and washers
under the tank, snugged up to stop any leak at the bolt
holes (no worry about them being too tight). That way, with
the flapper valve closed and the flush valve in place, you could
carry the tank around without a leak. And then you would
put it into place, snug the nuts and washers up on the
underside of the toilet, and the tank would be held in place
WITHOUT having to tighten anything to stop a leak.
Because if all you do is tighten from under the toilet to
stop a leak, you could well break porcelain first.

On Feb 17, 6:18 pm, Chris wrote:
Hello,

I'm painting my bathroom (1 sink, 1 toilette). I removed the tank from the
toilette so that I can properly paint behind the toilette. Before I removed
the tank, I Googled and read that I should pick up a Toilette Repair Kit.
So, before I removed the tank, I picked up the kit.

According to the article that I read, it said that I should replace the
hardware (two screws, rubber washers and the sponge washer).

Is it necessary that I replace the sponge washer? The existing washer
appears to be much bigger than the one in the repair kit. It appears to be
in good shape.

Thanks,

--
Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair

Michael B wrote:

Stop.
Hold everything.
I propose that there are not enough parts in your repair kit.

There are two ways to replace that tank.

The right way, and the way it's done regularly, but is wrong.
The way that I suspect "Joe" uses.
Proper way should include some narrow nuts and washers
under the tank, snugged up to stop any leak at the bolt
holes (no worry about them being too tight). That way, with
the flapper valve closed and the flush valve in place, you could
carry the tank around without a leak. And then you would
put it into place, snug the nuts and washers up on the
underside of the toilet, and the tank would be held in place
WITHOUT having to tighten anything to stop a leak.
Because if all you do is tighten from under the toilet to
stop a leak, you could well break porcelain first.

The kit comes with 2 bolts, 2 hex nuts, 1 spud washer, 1 sponge washer, 2
wing nuts, 4 rubber washers, 4 brass washers. The original bolts appear to
be in good condition.

The original bolts have a rubber washer that goes on the inside of the tank.
On the underside of the tank there are two plastic wing nuts. Then the
bolts pass through the bowl part of the toilette and are secured with
another set of plastic wing nuts. I'm assuming plastic is good since that
will not rust?

I think I may have the wrong kit after all. The kit is made by Moen and my
toilette is a Gerber. When I lifted the tank off the bowl and looked under
it, I was surprised that the sponge washer was much bigger. The diameter
appears to be about the same. The depth of the original washer is
deeper/longer than the one that is in the kit. Now that I know what the
original one looks like, I can go back and see if I can find a comparable
one I guess.

--
Chris

Sponge bath? Weatherlawyer UK diy 8 January 2nd 07 10:16 PM
Painting Stucco: Sponge? Elle Home Repair 2 October 19th 05 03:17 PM
How do I give a sponge bath to a bear Zikki Malambo UK diy 1 January 12th 05 02:51 PM
How do I give a sponge bath to a bear ? Medallion Man UK diy 8 January 11th 05 03:12 PM