Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Lathe applied finish

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 12:57:26 -0500, "Stephen M"
wrote:

With just shellac I have found the finish to gum up and become uneven. That
is, if you try to work the finish for more than 20 seconds. Try 2 parts
shellac to 1 part mineral oil..... It's basically motorized french polish.
The oil gravitates to the top and lubricates. The shellac migrates to the
bottom. You can keep working it while the shellac sets up. Just wipe off the
oil after the shellac has hardened up.

That's something worth trying, but one thing does immediately come to
mind- how old is your shellac? I did find that when it was very
fresh, it works great, but the can that I have had for a year or two
now no longer will set up properly at all, and becomes gummy and
uneven just as you've described. Could have been old shellac- but if
that *is* the case, the mineral oil is a superb tip. Being sort of on
the poor end of the income spectrum, finding a way to rejuvinate my
3/4 full can of shellac would be great.

It will give you a very quick (minutes) very glossy finish (if that's what
you want)

-Steve