Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael B Michael B is offline

Default Sponge Washer - Toilette Tank

Stop.
Hold everything.
I propose that there are not enough parts in your repair kit.

There are two ways to replace that tank.

The right way, and the way it's done regularly, but is wrong.
The way that I suspect "Joe" uses.
Proper way should include some narrow nuts and washers
under the tank, snugged up to stop any leak at the bolt
holes (no worry about them being too tight). That way, with
the flapper valve closed and the flush valve in place, you could
carry the tank around without a leak. And then you would
put it into place, snug the nuts and washers up on the
underside of the toilet, and the tank would be held in place
WITHOUT having to tighten anything to stop a leak.
Because if all you do is tighten from under the toilet to
stop a leak, you could well break porcelain first.

On Feb 17, 6:18 pm, Chris wrote:
Hello,

I'm painting my bathroom (1 sink, 1 toilette). I removed the tank from the
toilette so that I can properly paint behind the toilette. Before I removed
the tank, I Googled and read that I should pick up a Toilette Repair Kit.
So, before I removed the tank, I picked up the kit.

According to the article that I read, it said that I should replace the
hardware (two screws, rubber washers and the sponge washer).

Is it necessary that I replace the sponge washer? The existing washer
appears to be much bigger than the one in the repair kit. It appears to be
in good shape.

Thanks,

--
Chris