Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael B Michael B is offline

Default Any such thing as in-place pipe dope?

Sure hate those extra-long URLs. After pasting the second line
of the site on, we get a portion of their product line that reads

LoctiteŽ Liquid Thread Sealants seal and secure metal
pipes and fittings, filling the space between threaded metal parts,
and hardening to prevent leakage. Designed for low and high
pressure applications, liquid thread sealants seal instantly
for low pressure testing. When fully cured, they seal to the
burst strength of most piping systems.

Tonight, on a Mythbusters sequence, they had a propane setup
with a leak. They used a vacuum to draw Crazyglue into the joint,
then finished the seal with "Engine Epoxy". They can't show
brand names, but it was J.B.Weld that they were using.

On Feb 17, 9:16 pm, "Michael B" wrote:
Indeed, I see the Loctite remedy as a possibilityhttp://www.loctite.us/int_henkel/loctite_us/index.cfm?
pageid=19&layout=4&productline=OEM4000
But I find a second layer of protection to be nice. Such as
J.B.Weld.
But to keep it from niggling at the back of your mind,
redoing those joints correctly is going to do a lot for your
mental wellbeing. Gonna be a while before you trust someone
else to do a job, isn't it?

Loctite could well do it for you, though.

On Feb 17, 7:39 pm, wrote:

Yeah, I know. Seeing as it is only a 'pinhole' leak, I thought I'd
check to see if there was a product certified for this purpose.
Sounds like there isn't. I'll give the loctite some consideration,
but will probably go with breaking it apart and putting in a union.