Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Chris is offline

Default Sponge Washer - Toilette Tank

Joe wrote:

On Feb 17, 5:18 pm, Chris wrote:
Hello,

I'm painting my bathroom (1 sink, 1 toilette). I removed the tank from
the toilette so that I can properly paint behind the toilette. Before I
removed the tank, I Googled and read that I should pick up a Toilette
Repair Kit. So, before I removed the tank, I picked up the kit.

According to the article that I read, it said that I should replace the
hardware (two screws, rubber washers and the sponge washer).

Is it necessary that I replace the sponge washer? The existing washer
appears to be much bigger than the one in the repair kit. It appears to
be in good shape.

Thanks,

--
Chris

You must have picked the wrong size kit. Makes sense to try a
reinstallation of the old one and if you're lucky you'll be all done.
If it diesn't seal well, don't compensate by overtightening the hold
down bolts - too much of a chance to crack the porcelain. Take it back
apart and take the old gasket to the store to compare to available
parts. If the box store doesn't have the correct size, try Ace
Hardware or a plumbing supply house. Good luck.

Joe

Thanks Joe for the advice. I'll go back and see if I can find one that is
similar. Not sure if it matters, but I bought this kit from Kent hardware
store. The kit is "MOEN M5890 Tank Seal Kit".

Again, thanks.

--
Chris