Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Pietrangelo Bob Pietrangelo is offline

Default new gas furnace recommendations needed

I have, and friends have been victims of sleezy contractors, I know
one myself they ffered a really good deal on a used furnace with air,
then explained they scared the previos owner into a complete 10 grand
install, making fantastic bucks. Were selling the left over furnace
for added profit.

I had gone to high school with this #@$%$ told him off! and never call
me again! He was proud of scamming
a elderly widow

within a year he got caught, last I heard he moved west, his business
died, he DESERVED IT!

I told him I though 60 minutes should feature him

Sadly I check 3 times when told stuff like this because of people like
him. A old ladys air quit working, the contractor claimed the
compressor bad, I happened to stop and found the air filter jammed
solid with cat hair, removed filter temp dropped immediately I went
and bought filter. But first called contractor cancelling install!
They were unhappy the new unit was loaded on their truck, they had
crew ready, threatened to bill a grand cancel fee.

I said GO AHEAD will call my newspaper friend, you will be featured
for ripping people off, AC fixed new filter installed!

Thew old lady was in heart failure and died within a couple months,
preying on the elderly is TERRIBLE.

I would have turned in that contractor but the poor sick lady was
afraid of being sued or worse...........
--

So what percentage of contracors is that compared to the # of contractors in
your phone book. I think you just mentioned 2 or 3. I could quote you

That is about 5% of the ones in the area. Don't lump all of us in with the
bad, and that is what you are doing as are several sensationalist reporters.
Look for contractors that are the top rated with their manufacturers,
memebrs of ACCA, BBB, etc

Bob Pietrangelo
(home)
(work)