Posted to alt.home.repair

Default new gas furnace recommendations needed

On Feb 17, 1:19�pm, "Bob Pietrangelo" wrote:
Contractor rip offs are sadly pretty common

My advice check with detector FIRST then have gas company inspect if
it doesnt generate monoxide. cost little can save thousands for 50
bucks and a detector is a good thing to own, even a brand nbew furnace
can malfunction........

Incdenly stoves etc DO, but since there a much lower BTU its not
enough to be dangerous in most situations.

***
Contractor rippoffs are very rare actually, unfortunately they make better
news than good contractors. *If you deal with a good contractor with high
credentials, a satisfactory rating with the BBB, recommended by
manufacturers as tops in there area, you usually can't go wrong. *Don't go
by the big ads in the YP.

Since you are stating that Contractors rip offs are common, what percentage
of contractors work are ripoffs. *I am sure you are stating facts rather
than your own opinion. *Again ther are alot more good honest contractors
than bad. *The bad ones are the ones that most people complement on being
fair priced and the ones to deal with, rather than those overpriced ripoff
companies. *Ther is a reason better companies cost more. *Which I have
stated in an earlier post.
--
Bob Pietrangelo
(home)

I have, and friends have been victims of sleezy contractors, I know
one myself they ffered a really good deal on a used furnace with air,
then explained they scared the previos owner into a complete 10 grand
install, making fantastic bucks. Were selling the left over furnace
for added profit.

I had gone to high school with this #@$%$ told him off! and never call
me again! He was proud of scamming
a elderly widow

within a year he got caught, last I heard he moved west, his business
died, he DESERVED IT!

I told him I though 60 minutes should feature him

Sadly I check 3 times when told stuff like this because of people like
him. A old ladys air quit working, the contractor claimed the
compressor bad, I happened to stop and found the air filter jammed
solid with cat hair, removed filter temp dropped immediately I went
and bought filter. But first called contractor cancelling install!
They were unhappy the new unit was loaded on their truck, they had
crew ready, threatened to bill a grand cancel fee.

I said GO AHEAD will call my newspaper friend, you will be featured
for ripping people off, AC fixed new filter installed!

Thew old lady was in heart failure and died within a couple months,
preying on the elderly is TERRIBLE.

I would have turned in that contractor but the poor sick lady was
afraid of being sued or worse...........