Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default new gas furnace recommendations needed

clipped

He shined a light into the the right side heating chamber and I could
see a hole and light through it in the seam at the end of it and plenty
of rust covering up the burner. The other two chambers were good.
Another guy told me a few years ago it was on the edge and wouldn't
last much longer.

I have friends, still alive, who had furnace with cracked heat
exchanger. Kids had had headaches, house plants died, adults no
problem. We went to visit, with our children. On entering the house,
my eyes began to burn badly. Nobody else from my family with any
symptoms. We discussed my burning eyes a great deal, trying to figure
out what was going on .. mold, dust, etc. I mentioned it to the
maintenance supv. at work the next day and he knew immediately that the
problem was a cracked heat exchanger. Not having a clue what that was,
I called my pal and told her. She had the gas co. check, and was
ordered out of the house immediately because CO was sky high.

I wouldn't fool around with prices if the situation is really a cracked
heat exchanger, which is deadly.